Keep Fairfield Tidy - Community Litter Pick - Saturday 8th November, 10.30am - Meet outside Village Hall

Welcome to Fairfield Village

& the Hamlets of Wildmoor & Stoneybridge

In 1979 the old wooden Church Hall was knocked down and replaced by the Village Hall that stands today.

Back in August/September 1926 there was no Church Hall, with Village activities taking place at Fairfield School.  A Church Hall “Building” committee, consisting of Trustees and local residents had been formed, and they held their meetings at the School; coordinating fund raising activities, studying building plans & commissioning a contractor to erect the building. By the end of 1926 the Church Hall had been built and formally opened.

Opening Ceremony of St. Mark’s Church Hall

The hall was formally opened on Saturday December 11th 1926 by Lady Georgina Vernon, who was supported on the platform by the Rector (the Rev. Douglas Alner Townsend), Mrs. Townsend, Messrs. W. H. Matty (Hon. Treasurer and Trustee), J. T. G. Davis (Trustee), H. S. Stevens & F. Handley (Churchwardens), J. B. Nickols (Hon. Secretary), W. S. Webb, Mrs. W. Shakespeare Webb & Mrs. W. H. Matty.

Having briefly introduced Lady Georgina Vernon, the Rector asked her to formally Open the Hall, and she proceeded to the door on the west side (veranda door), and with a silver key presented to her by the Contractor (Mr. Grosvenor Workman of Birmingham) unlocked the door, and declared the Hall open.

Speeches from the Rector and several other persons followed, and a full report of the opening ceremony appeared the “County Express” &“Bromsgrove Messenger”.

Upwards of 300 persons were present for the opening ceremony, the hall was filled to the utmost capacity.  Many people had to stand as there was insufficient seating.

By hospitality of Mr. Matty the audience were served with tea, and a collection was taken for the Hall funds, which amounted to £10 10s 6d.

A concert followed the opening ceremony at 7pm, when the hall was again filled to capacity.  Dancing was kept up to 11pm, and the day proceedings then terminated.  Everyone being pleased with their achievements and confident of the Hall’s future success. 




Fairfield Church Hall